Automation testing or test automation is a process through which a team works with an automation tool for executing a test case suite. Test automation helps reduce the overall number of test cases that have to be run manually. Nevertheless, it is significant to note that it does not remove the necessity for manual testing.
Manual testing is performed by human testers. They use computers to effectively execute the various steps associated with the testing process when testing a system or application. Automation testing is managed by a machine, while manual testing is carried out manually. The automation testing process is guided and managed by an automation software capable of entering test data in the system that has to be tested. They can compare the active results with the expected results and create detailed and comprehensive test reports.
Test automation indeed involves a substantial amount of upfront investment. However, companies still opt for it to provide them with a substantial value for an extended period. It also provides them with a scope to boost their ROI levels. Because the success and efficiency of the development cycles typically require performing the same tests on a repeated basis. Working with any powerful yet simple test automation tool can help teams record the tests as often as needed. Thus, test automation is crucial when a person is looking to enhance the return on investment of the testing process.
In the majority of the cases, teams choose to automate high-risk test cases that require being carried out repeatedly. They also try to do the same when dealing with some time-consuming and tedious tasks that need to be automated. Usually, the newly designed test cases are not automated when they have never been manually executed. The same goes for test cases where their requirements are changed now and then.
Advantages of Using Automation Testing Process
- Automation testing of the workflows and cases helps to save time and financial resources. Manual testing is complicated with multilingual sites, and in such cases, the best thing to do is use automation testing methods.
- Automation enhances the speed of the test execution process so that test coverage is increased. It can cause the teams to create better quality software.
- Automated testing is carried out without any human intervention. It naturally makes the process much more convenient.
- Manual testing is prone to errors and can be boring for the person doing it. However, such problems can be eliminated using test automation.
Automation Testing as a Career Option
Even though automation testing software systems have made the testing process testing than ever before, there is now a demand for skilled automation testing engineers as they can create test automation scripts that need to be run.
Automation testing engineers have in-depth technical knowledge, and it helps them create detailed automation strategies used for the application or the product. Through the efforts of an automation testing engineer, it is possible to take a more holistic approach to carrying out the testing process.
The test automation engineers can decide on the best tools for every stage or phase of the development lifecycle for a seamless and cost-effective integration strategy. With their efforts, the redundancy of the manual testing work can get eliminated, and test data can get generated with ease. Such factors make automation testing a lucrative career option.
Salaries of an Automation Testing Engineer (in India)
As per a report by PayScale, an entry-level automation testing engineer with less than 1-year work experience expects an average total compensation of ₹254,017 annually. Automation testing engineer with 1-4 years of work experience earns an annual compensation of ₹458,228 annually based on 177 salaries. A mid-career 5 – 9 years experienced automation testing professional earns an average of ₹725,243 annually, based on 58 salaries. Whereas an experienced automation testing engineer with 10 -19 years of work experience earns an average annual compensation of ₹1,299,281, based on 12 salaries.
Steps involved in becoming a professional automation testing engineer
Following the steps discussed below can help you become an automation testing engineer.
- The first step in becoming an automation testing engineer is learning about all the technical aspects of the work in detail. You also need to have a clear concept of what you are trying to test and create a technical plan that will help you do so.
- You don’t have to start working on an automation project immediately. You can still polish and perfect your skills to perform advanced-level automation testing.
- The other thing you need to focus on is cultivating some coding skills. It will naturally increase your chances to be an efficient automation testing engineer. While it is true that you won’t need to write a lot of codes on your own, substantial knowledge of coding can be helpful for you in the long run. You can learn about VB Scripting and its various aspects and then use your knowledge while working with different types of programming languages.
- Even if you are learning to become an automation testing engineer, you must not skip manual testing. Cultivating your skills in manual testing come in handy when you are trying to develop knowledge about the whole testing process. A way to do this is to get yourself enrolled in a manual testing course that can introduce you to the core and advanced level concepts of manual testing.
- Learn about performance testing, test design, test architecture, test troubleshooting, configuration management, etc, associated with the automation testing processes.
To start a career as an automation testing engineer, your motivation should be high as learning involves a lot of time and commitment. It is advised that you create a personal learning plan to avail yourself of a strong foundation in testing and to learn about automation planning and strategy. The role can get to high ranks and achieve a lot of appreciation. If you are willing to learn more about starting a career in tech, keep a close watch on our blog, our experts share insights about the tech industry and primarily Full stack development.
UniKaksha is a digital skill development platform that enables trained tech talent for the jobs of tomorrow, bridging the ever-increasing skill gap in the current workforce. Learn in-Demand tech skills with 100+ Courses and Certifications with multilingual support, 24×7 doubt clearing sessions, and regular assessments to track progress. Start your Tech-Career today!